Are you guilty of using your toilet as a trash can? Toilets are only equipped to handle dissolvable toilet paper and waste. Flushing something that’s too big for your pipes or that won’t dissolve puts you and your family at risk of needing septic system pumping in the Radnor area. Make sure that you and your family members know never to flush any of the following down the toilet!
- Feminine hygiene products. Tampons, menstrual pads, and other feminine hygiene products aren’t biodegradable. This means that they can easily get caught in your toilet’s pipes and seriously clog your toilet. Always wrap used feminine products in toilet paper and dispose of them in the trash can.
- Cooking grease. Cooking grease can congeal and turn into a thick gel when mixed with water. This means that it can mix with other types of waste and create a tough clog that requires professional septic system pumping.
- Dental floss. Dental floss isn’t biodegradable and can wrap around other types of waste in your drain.
- Q-tips. You might think that Q-tips can be flushed down the toilet because they’re lined with cotton. While the tips of your Q-tips might be able to be flushed, the plastic part of the Q-tip will clump together and clog your toilet.
- Prescription pills. If you have excess prescription pills or painkillers, you might think that you’re doing the responsible thing by flushing them down the toilet. However, these pills can have extremely detrimental effects on the environment by getting into the water supply. The DEA holds an annual “National Take-Back Day” each year when you can safely and responsibly dispose of your medications.
Are you dealing with a tough clog in your home? Delaware Valley Septic, Sewer & Storm can help you eliminate clogs with septic system pumping, available in Villanova and surrounding areas. Give our team a call today at 1-844-4DELVAL for more information or to schedule your appointment.